Saudi standers established the General Administration of Laboratories in 1398 AH corresponding to 1978 AD to contribute to the preparation of the Saudi standard specifications and the necessary research, in addition to considering it as a control device for technical fields where the necessary scientific equipment for examination and testing are available.
The General Administration of Laboratories receives various items of electrical, electronic, mechanical, metallic, chemical and petroleum goods, spinning and weaving products, construction and building materials, plastic products and children's toys in order to test these samples and ensure they comply with the Saudi standard specifications issued in their regard.
Saudi standers laboratories have obtained accreditation according to the international standard ISO 17025/2005 in some tests, which gives its laboratories international recognition for their test results.
In pursuit of Saudi standers to keep pace with the latest device technologies that contribute to obtaining test results quickly and accurately, the authority's laboratories in both Riyadh and its two branches in Makkah Al-Mukarramah and the Eastern Province have been strengthened with a number of modern devices in various disciplines.
The General Administration of Laboratories follows the following laboratories:
- Chemical and Petroleum Products Laboratory.
- General Materials Laboratory.
- Electrical and Electronic Products Laboratory.
- Mechanical and metallic products laboratory.
- Textile Products Laboratory.
- Construction and Building Material Products Laboratory.
Tasks of the General Department of Laboratories:
Participate in studying and making notes on Saudi standard projects.
Conducting studies and research when preparing Saudi standards.
Providing technical consultations in the field of testing to various departments of the authority and external bodies.
Carrying out tests and checks on samples for the following purposes:
- Application of Saudi standards.
- Quality Mark Certification.
- Conformity and the export certificate.
- Customs clearance.
- For factories and companies: Develop their products.
- Quality control.
- Ensure the effectiveness of a particular product line.
- For traders: in order to ensure that imported products and commodities conform to Saudi standards before importing them.
5. Participation of the General Department for Quality Control in:
- Inspection of factories with a quality mark.
- Laboratory accreditation.
- Implementing the executive regulations of the private laboratories system.
6. Representing Saudi standers in related fields such as:
- Some ISO committees such as reference materials committee
- The International Organization of Legal Metrology OIML.
- International Bureau of Weights and Measures BIPM.
7. Registration of public health pesticides.
8. Training in quality control and calibration.