At the end of the last century and the beginning of the international industrial revolution, the need for harmonizing measurement standards around the world in accordance with an agreed system of Units has emerged. In 1875, the Meter convention was signed in Paris, which was the beginning of harmonizing the international measurement standards and establishing the scientific basis of the International System of Units (SI). Consequently, a National Metrology Institute (NMI) was decided in each country to establish its national measurement standards and harmonies with standards of the other countries' signatories to the meter convention. Harmonization of the measurement standards covers the realizations of the 7 basic units and the 22 derived units.
Because SASO recognized the importance of Metrology as one of its main activities and tasks, the National Measurement and Calibration Center (NMCC) was established in 1406 corresponding to 1986 AD. It is considered the national body entrusted to maintain and develop the national measurement standards, in addition to the provision of metrological traceability of the measurement results in the Kingdom to the SI units. The NMCC includes (30) specialized national laboratories serving the scientific, legal, and industrial metrology in the governmental and private sectors. NMCC is equipped with advanced measurement standards and calibration systems on the primary and secondary levels, which are operated by Saudi competent staff to provide calibration services traceable to the SI units.
In addition, NMCC provides technical consultations in establishing and developing calibration laboratories, designing and functioning calibration systems in cooperation with industrial companies. These consultations are served to accredited laboratories and to industrial bodies upon their request in order to enhance their production efficiency and improve their competitiveness in the international markets.
Also, NMCC contributes to environmental protection, health, and safety and provides training services. The aim of the training is to enhance the level of the technical staff in industry and services sectors to perform accurate calibration, testing and to prepare calibration certificates and test reports in accordance with the requirements of ISO / IEC 17025 including correct figures of uncertainty in measurement results.
Responsibilities of NMCC:
- Maintaining and developing the national measurement standards in accordance with the International System of Units SI.
- Calibrating the measuring instruments and standards maintained by the governmental and private agencies as well as the Gulf Cooperation Council (GCC) member states.
- Providing technical consultation for projects of Saudi Documentary Standards.
- Providing calibration service for reference standards maintained by the national calibration laboratories and metrological verification laboratories.
- Providing calibration services for industry in different industrial and monitoring scopes.
- Providing calibration service of measurement standards maintained by private calibration laboratories.
- Keeping abreast with the scientific developments related to the International System of Units and work to implement and publish it.
- Representing the Kingdom in the activities related to National Metrology Institutes regionally and internationally.
- Conducting research in metrology.
- Holding awareness seminars, workshops and training courses in various scopes of metrology.
- Participating in key and supplementary comparison programs regionally and internationally.
- Providing technical consultation for the governmental and private institutions in metrology.