The laboratory conducts tests according to standard specifications and testing methods related to electrical products, cables, and their accessories. Tests also include energy efficiency for lighting, heaters, air-conditioners, washing machines, refrigerators, and freezers.
- Examine and test samples according to standard specifications.
- Issue technical reports on inspection and test results.
- Provide views and technical advice in electrical fields.
- Cooperate with relevant departments to carry out initial and periodic inspections of the plants obtaining the Quality Mark.
- Participate in the preparation of regulations and standards with the General Administration of Standards.
The laboratory consists of four units divided by the nature of tests carried out. Samples are distributed among these units according to the type of test prescribed in the product standard, as follows:
First: Electrical Products Unit
The unit examines and tests household electrical products and the like. Also, it examines and tests electrical cables and accessories (plugs, sockets, adapters, power strips, and others)
Second: Energy Efficiency Unit
The unit examines and tests energy efficiency of lighting, heaters, air conditioners, washing machines, clothes dryers, refrigerators, and freezers.
The laboratory also includes a number of devices that help to ensure that products conform with standard specifications, namely:
- Mechanical shock device.
- High voltage testing device.
- Ball pressure apparatus.
- Current, voltage and power measuring device.
- Cables and wires resistance measuring device.
- Cables flexibility testing device.
- Stability testing device.
- Glow wire testing apparatus.
- Life expectancy of lamps measuring device.
- Life expectancy of plugs and sockets measuring device.
- Life expectancy of electric switches measuring device.
- Electric iron drop testing device.
- Stirring testing device for plugs.
- Humidity and heat room.
- Up to 150° C oven.
- Safety tests apparatus.
- Insulation resistance measuring device.
- Cable bending testing device.
- Wire cross-sectional area measuring device.
- Resistance to abnormal heat and fire measuring apparatus.
- Energy efficiency measuring devices for air conditioners.
- Energy efficiency measuring devices for washing machines and dryers.
- Energy efficiency measuring devices for refrigerators and freezers.
- Energy efficiency measuring devices for lighting.
- Energy efficiency measuring devices for heaters.
List of Products being examined in the Laboratory:
| Time Required for Testing || Standard No. || Product || Serial No. |
Electrical Products Unit|
|SASO-GSO-2115-2116/2012||Desert air coolers||8|
|SASO-2203/2015||Plugs and sockets||9|
|15 days||SASO-IEC-60335-2-42||Electric ovens||10|
|SASO-IEC-60335-2-9||Electric grills and toasters|
|SASO-IEC-60335-2-9||Electric incense Burners||15|
|SASO-IEC-60335-2-9||Electric bread making machines||16|
|SASO-IEC-60335-2-6||Built in hobs|
|SASO-IEC-60335-2-6||Built in cook stoves||19|
|15 days||SASO-IEC-60335-2-9||Sandwich maker||20|
|SASO-IEC-60335-2-15||Electric pressure cookers|
|SASO-IEC-60898-1||Circuit - Breakers||28|
|SASO-IEC-60335-2-15||Electric water heaters|
|SASO-IEC-61558-1 - SASO-IEC-61010-1||Electric transformers||30|
SASO-IEC-60227-1/SASO-IEC-60227-2 / SASO-IEC-60227-3
Energy Efficiency Unit
|SASO-2683-2693-2692/2025||Clothes washing machines|
|Electric water heaters||37|
|SASO-IEC-62560 – SASO-2870||LED lamps||38|
|SASO-IEC-60598-2-1||Fixed General Purpose luminaires||39|
|SASO-IEC-60662/2011||High-pressure sodium vapor lamps|
SASO-IEC-60968 – SASO-2870
|Energy efficient lamps||42|
|SASO-IEC-60598-2||Luminaires for Road and street Lighting|