The laboratory conducts mechanical tests according to Saudi and international standard specifications. It is provided with integrated equipment to allow conducting all necessary tests to analyze and study all physical and mechanical properties of metals for several bodies in public and private sectors.
laboratory staff pay a great concern to expanded and futuristic executive plans in the research field. It is inherent and complementary to mechanical tests carried out by the laboratory which support scientific research.
Units of mechanical products laboratory:
There are five major units in the mechanical products laboratory which are:
First: Mechanical Tests Unit:
It detects physical properties of metals used in industry such as rebar, aluminum sheets and many other types through the following tests:
• Tensile test of metals to determine tensile strength, yield stress and elongation percentage by using Universal Testing Machine (UTM).
• Resistance test of pressure, bending, folding, and shear using Universal Testing Machine (UTM).
• Test of metal hardness calculation by Brinell - Vickers - Rockwell through using Hardness Testing Machine.
• Impact resistance Test for metal to know its ability to absorb impact through (Izod - Charpy) methods by using machine of impact test.
Second: Microscopy tests unit:
To detect the following properties of the metal:
• Microscopic structure of alloys and metals by using optical microscope.
• Study of metallic products surfaces and detect surface defects such as tin cans of food.
Third: various pressure vessels tests unit:
To detect the following:
• Hydraulic pressure resistance test and find out the bursting pressure of a pressure vessels such as fire extinguishers - gas cylinders through explosion machine.
• Measuring the volumetric expansion of carbon dioxide extinguishers cylinders by using a measuring device for the volumetric expansion of fire extinguishers.
• Accelerated ageing test to find out the impact of weather on fire extinguishers through temperature and humidity calibrating for a limited period by using an accelerated ageing device.
• Tests of performance and provisions of Liquefied petroleum gases with a low-pressure by using low-pressure regulators.
• Performance tests for fire extinguishers.
Fourth: NDT Unit:
Is the use of some x-ray, ultrasound testing on samples from mineral products without destroying as the following:
• Measuring of metal thickness.
• Detection and measurement of cracks in the metal surface.
• Detection of internal welding defects.
• Measurement of the low hardness of metals.
• Detection of internal casting defects.
Fifth: Thermal processing unit:
That the metal is processed thermally whether alloys or welding links.
Sixth: Mechanical Workshop:
The mechanical workshop includes a range of cutting equipment and machines such as lathes, rasps , milling, grinding, cutting, and others. In addition the workshop includes welding equipment, presses, metal forming equipment, instrumentations and filing equipment.
List of products tested in the laboratory: