SASO has established the General Administration of Laboratories in 1398 AH, corresponding to 1978, to contribute to the preparation of Saudi standards and necessary researches. In addition, it is an authoritative body of technical areas where the scientific devices for the necessary examination and testing are available.
The General Administration of Laboratories receives different varieties of electrical, electronic, mechanical, metallic, chemical and petroleum commodities, textile products, construction and building materials, plastic products and toys. The Administration receives these samples to be tested and to ensure conformity with the Saudi standards issued thereon.
SASO's Labs have obtained accreditation in accordance with international standard ISO (17025/2005) in some tests, which gives international recognition of the results of laboratory tests.
In its seeking to keep up with the latest technologies of the devices that contribute to get the test results quickly and accurately, SASO has strengthened laboratories in Riyadh, Makkah and the Eastern Province branches with a number of modern devices of various fields.
Labs of the General Administration of Laboratories
1. Chemical and Petroleum Products Lab.
2. General Materials Lab.
3. Electrical and Electronic Products Lab.
4. Mechanical and metallurgical Lab.
5. Weaving and Textile products Lab.
6. Construction and building materials Lab.
7. Research and studies center.
Responsibility of the General Administration of Laboratories
1. Participating in examining the draft of Saudi Standards and making comments on.
2. Conducting studies and researches when preparing the Saudi Standards.
3. Providing technical consultancies in the field of testing for the various departments of SASO and external bodies.
4. Conducting tests and examinations on the samples for the following purposes:
• Implementation of Saudi Standards.
• Granting the quality mark.
• Granting certificates of conformity and export certificates.
• Customs clearance.
• For factories and companies:
o Products development.
o Quality Control.
o Ensuring the effectiveness of a particular production line.
• For traders: the purpose is for ascertaining the conformity of products and goods imported, with the Saudi standard specifications before importing.
5. Participating with the General Administration of Quality Control in:
o The inspection of factories obtaining the quality mark.
o Laboratory accreditation.
o Applying the executive regulation of private laboratories.
6. Representing SASO in the relevant areas such as:
o Some ISO committees as the committee of reference materials.
o International Organization of Legal Metrology OIML.
o Bureau International of Weights and Measures BIPM.
o International System of Units.
7. Registration of public health pesticides.
8. Training in the field of quality and calibration control.